Paul Deloughery is a Scottsdale, Arizona estate planning attorney who finds real-world solutions to real-world problems. He advocates on behalf of families and helps with all their estate planning needs!
Paul is the Founder and Senior Attorney at Paul Deloughery Asset Protection, PLC. He was first admitted to practice law in 1998 and since 2001 has focused on estate planning and probate issues, with a strong emphasis on blended families. He graduated with honors from the University of Iowa College of Law in 1996, and was a partner in a home-health agency just before beginning law practice. This home-health experience gave him a lot of insight into family dynamics and the need for precise estate plans.
Paul sees through complex issues and comes up with enforceable strategies to resolve his clients’ problems. His own experiences have helped him understand the issues others have. He knows the pain that family disputes and litigation can cause, and will do his best to counsel families ahead of time to ensure families don’t go through similar situations.
He knows firsthand the long-term impact of family chaos. His father died when Paul was 16, and his mother barely escaped bankruptcy. In 2003, when Paul was 35 years old, he discovered that his father had actually been his stepfather, and he had never met his biological father. Paul finally met his biological father in 2009, six weeks before his death. When Paul’s biological father passed away, Paul inherited a large sum of money. Unfortunately, his father did not have an estate plan so Paul was left with a mess of taxes and legal issues which could have been avoided if the proper steps would have been taken before his father’s death.
Paul’s complex personal history has given him a unique perspective on life and the challenges of this human experience. This outlook has led him to a deep understanding of human psychology and the conflicting family dynamics that underlie legal issues.
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science Diplomas (with Distinction and Honors) Indiana University, Bloomington, with majors in Music and History (1989)
- Masters of Arts in Music Performance, University of Iowa (1993)
- Juris Doctor Diploma, with Honors, Iowa College of Law (1996)
- United States District Court
- State Bar of Arizona – Probate and Trust Section
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Maricopa County Bar Association Member – Estate Planning, Probate and Trust Section
- State Bar of Arizona Member – Probate and Trust Section
- Sole Director of Chiurazzi Internazionale, Srl, the oldest art foundry in the world, located near Naples, Italy.
- Given the Estate Planning award in 2010 for Phoenix Best of Greater Cities.
- 2004 (Phoenix, Arizona). Mr. Deloughery presented “The Skinny on SCINS and Private Annuities” to the College of Estate Planning Attorneys. (Self-Cancelling Installment Notes and Private Annuities are sophisticated estate planning techniques employed by ultra-high net worth clients.)
- 2005 (Phoenix, Arizona). Mr. Deloughery presented “Tackling Key Issues in Entity Selection” and “Mastering Estate Planning Issues” as part of a continuing legal education program entitled “Advanced Issues in LLC Formation and Operation in Arizona”, sponsored by National Business Institute.
- 2007 (Phoenix, Arizona). Mr. Deloughery presented “Mastering Estate Planning Issues” as part of a continuing legal education program entitled “Advanced LLC Issues”, sponsored by National Business Institute.
- 2012 (Las Vegas, Nevada). Mr. Deloughery spoke about his personal probate-related story at a Kyle Cease personal development event.
- 2015 (Phoenix, Arizona). Mr. Deloughery spoke at the North Phoenix Bar Association about the relationship between asset protection and estate planning.